CBR5 #8 - The Prophet, Michael Koryta

What happens to two brothers whose sister is kidnapped in Junior High, never found, and the kidnapper is never caught? In this case, one of them finds god and the football field, Kent, and the other, Adam, finds the underside of the community working as a bail bondsman and detective. They don't much like each other, and neither ever moves from the small town where it all happened, but they also manage to avoid each other for years.  Something has to happen to bring them together, and it does. Another girl disappears and winds up dead, after visiting Adam to help her locate her missing father. The girl's boyfriend plays football for Kent, which is how she found Adam to begin with, thus bringing the brothers together again. Neither is happy about it, and neither can ignore the similarity of the recent events with their buried past. Both men have to get involved if they're going to find out who did this.

By far the most compelling part of this book is that Kent is basically Coach Eric Taylor. I dare you to read it and not picture Coach Taylor in your head.

Truth is, I've waited too long to write this review. I can't remember enough about this book to say much about it. I finished it. I don't recall bitching too much as I was reading it, but not much has stayed with me days after I've finished.

No comments: