Seabiscuit - Laura Hillenbrand

I know it's old, but I just got around to it and I'm glad I've never seen the movie. Seabiscuit is a fantastic read. My only complaint is that it slides into moments where it felt like an academic project converted to a novel, but those moments are few and far between and the research ultimately worth it.

Hillenbrand brings her characters to life. Alcoholic jockey, stern silent trainer, flamboyant owner. You root for all of them, everytime. If her version isn't the truth, I would rather not know. The true coup of this novel though, is Seabiscuit. Hillenbrand's protrayal of the horse is so incredible it's hard to explain. I am a person who is loathe to use the word spirit, but the kind of spirit she infuses into this horse and his relationships with the people around him is awe inspiring.

There are moments that I don't want to ruin for anyone who hasn't read it, but racing moments where you actually feel like you know how this horse felt. How he did the things that he did and why. I will be honest, I cried a LOT in the last chapters of this book and then handed it over to my husband to read. Right now.

No comments: